Wednesday 7 May 2014

I Did a Survey

Yes, that's right. I carried out a survey which I am not expecting to see published in the Lancet.

It was Monday morning and I was suffering from MMB, Monday Morning Blues. You know, the sickness which starts on Sunday evening when you realize that it'll be Monday morning in a few hours time and that that means that you've got to go to work. I suppose the sickness afflicts people in different ways; generally,  mine starts on Sunday evening and ends at about lunch time on Monday, only to start again the next Sunday evening, MMB is recurrent, like that.

Well this post is not about Monday Morning Blues, it's about that survey I did on a Monday morning. Let me dish you a little story to illustrate.

There I was on my way to work, suffering  full symptoms of MMB, ( wishing I could prolong the fun of the previous weekend, cursing Adam and Eve who in my mind are responsible for the tediousness of work, hating the brushes, noise and smoke caused by traffic,  dreading the Monday morning meeting and targets, etc etc etc), when I suddenly got an inspiration to play a mental game as antidote to  the MMB. Uninteresting girl that I am, the game I invented was to take a survey, to count how many people I saw who wore a particular trait. I settled on people on foot who had earphones on that morning.

That was the survey, the results were surprising. I counted fifty four people who had earphones on, on both ears, on busy Lagos Mainland roads. It was interesting to see that earphones are not a vogue only with teenagers; most people looked dressed for 'office' work (maybe that was their own MMB antidote), there was one secondary school girl, a tricycle operator, several agberos and roadside sellers and of course jeans sagging teens. White and black seemed to be the favorite colour of earphones here in Lagos. I did not count people in automobile; all my survey population were people standing or walking on their feet. Also the distance to work from my home is less than seven kilometres.

Well I did the survey to knock off my MMB but it's Wednesday now and I still can't get the survey experience out of my head. If you know Lagos, you can attest to the that maximum attention is needed on our roads. Most Lagos road users, especially bus drivers, motorcycle and tricyle operators are neither educated in traffic issues nor respectful of pedestrians.  I think it is  foolhardy  to deliberately tune into some sort of audio entertainment while walking on busy Lagos roads strewn with vehicles manned by reckless drivers and riders.

Is it wrong to listen to music or your fave podcasts via earphones? No. But please not while walking on Lagos mainland roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment